Saturday, November 1, 2008

Let us take some time for a...
Shuttle Appreciation Post

Sure, it sometimes leaves you in front of Target for over two hours as you watch the stores around you close (and regretfully remember you have had to use the bathroom for the last hour). Sure, the upholstery is ripping off the seats and you can literally hear the windows clattering with every bump and turn. But we can't help but love it, even when he hate it. Because the shuttle allows us to do what we wouldn't be able to otherwise- escape from the bubble and explore the wondrous world outside. We, the car-less freshman, are free to sit in the aisle of Barnes & Noble reading books we won't buy, ignore our budget to eat at Cheesecake Factory, spend way too much time at Blockbuster, or buy groceries we're not sure we really need at Trader Joe's. So even when the shuttle fails to pick us up on time, or breaks down after only a week of running since it last stopped working, we best not complain. Because what would we do without it?

So...here's to you, Shuttle.

P.S. A couple of weeks ago I got to enjoy Seaport Village for the first time since moving into PLNU. My friend and I ate the most delicious turkey melts (with avocado and in a big, fluffy baguette- mmmm), tried on tons of hats at the Village Hat Shop (although I was sorely disappointed to come out hat-less- my friend, on the other hand, got an Indian headdress), and browsed through books at Upstart Crow (one of my very favorite places in San Diego). It made me so happy to be walking in the city. Seeing big buildings up close and not just from a distance for the first time in a long time put a big, goofy smile on my face (even if I was subsequently asked for money, asked for my number, and then asked for a ticket I didn't have- oops).

1 comment:

Nohea said...

oh man, that last line in parentheses killed me. Ahh, to live the city-life!